Sunday, March 25, 2012

Don't be a Mediocre Christian.

In the previous post I talked about using my gifts for the body of Christ. This is deeper than I originally thought. In 1 Cor 12 it says that there should be no division among the body. We are to care for one another......convicting.

There are a variety of roles that Paul talks about in chapter 12; first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. Not everyone possesses every gift. In verse 31 it says, "But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way." 


The reason I should desire higher gifts is to build up the body of Christ to unity of faith and understanding of Christ. It is God's will that everyone become mature to the "measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ. (Ephesians 4:11-16).

Practically, I can not settle. I should always be striving to be better. I should strive to grow in relation with Jesus, and to help build up the body of Christ in love. I can never become complacent or lazy. When I settle I am not experiencing the "more excellent way"....I am missing out.

How do you "earnestly desire" higher gifts? What does that look like?


No comments:

Post a Comment