Monday, March 12, 2012

Sheep To Sheep


Lately I have been thinking a lot about a metaphor Jesus uses in the Bible. The metaphor is that Christians are the sheep and God is the shepherd. In John 10 Jesus says that he is the shepherd and we are the sheep. In John 21:15-17 Jesus says that if we love him we will feed his lambs, tend his sheep, and feed his sheep.

Yesterday I memorized Psalm 100:3, "Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture."


Thinking about this metaphor has been very humbling, but also very uplifting and faith building. First the idea that I am a sheep gives me a sense of humility. Sheep need someone to tell them where to go and when to do it. Sheep are not at the top of the food chain if you know what I mean. But grace be to God that he has us. We are his. He is our shepherd.

So understanding this metaphor has given me a peace about living. Jesus is guiding me. He is involved in where I go, what I do, and when I do it.

How am I supposed to feed, tend, and feed (John 21:15-17) the other sheep if I myself am a sheep? I think Jesus is calling me to love and care for those who are his. As a christian, my love for God is shown when I care for the "body of Christ"–another metaphor for Christians.

This has been what I've been meditating on lately. What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment